Here is the bit that I read that I am thinking about:
Your child does not have to share clothes, toys, or other things with their friends outside of the home, so be sure that you give your children their own things. They may have to share a room, but that does not mean they should share everything in it. This is important. It is okay for children to share somethings, that is part of life as a family. However, many problems that get in the way of friendship between siblings are because of having to share too many things. So, get them their own gifts at Christmas, get them their own clothes, if they have to share some toys, that is fine, as long as each of them have a few things to call their own.
I tend to expect Kenzie to share EVERYTHING with her sister. Her toys are also Jordyn's toys. Kenzie does like to show ownership of a few special things such as birthday presents or certain little trinkets like some bracelets and purses or a certain doll that she is obsessed with. Whenever Jordyn comes in contact with these items I encourage Kenzie to let Jordyn have a turn until she looses interest and then go and get her toy. This often leads to total meltdown and even a push or grab at her sister, which is totally not okay with me.
So, just curious, do your kids have certain toys that are their own, or is everyone encouraged to share everything?
2 comments:
Sharing is encouraged but not everything. However, we have a no grabbing policy. If the little one has something you want, you must TRADE them something equally neat and they must accept your trade before you take the toy they have. Some things are everyone's and I make it a point of bringing that up when we get the toy or book or whatever. Think about it - as adults do we have to share everything with our friends or siblings or spouses. Nope.
Thanks Christine. I TOTALLY love your outlook on how you follow through on the no grabbing policy. I am excited to start practicing it here at our house.
Post a Comment