.jpg)
I was actually sitting there watching when my one-year-old took the first tear at this book and I continued to watch as she tore each piece that followed.
I could have easily ran over and taken the book and restored it to health, but the problem was that I was cuddled up on the couch with a book, cozily wrapped in blankets, with Kenzie cuddled up in my lap.
How is that a problem you might ask?
Well, I realized that putting a stop to the book destruction would involve having to not only get up from my moment of bliss, but it would also involve having to deal with the melt-down that surely would follow the taking of the book from the one-year old. (Plus the time to bandage the book, plus the time to find another suitable activity for the one-year-old, plus the fact that I would have to put down my book and distract my three-year old from her cuddle time with mommy which might have possibly led to a melt down from the three-year-old as well.)
So, I let the book die. (Sorry mom and dad, that IS in fact the book you sent last week, but you can feel comforted in knowing that that book afforded you the opportunity to indirectly baby-sit both your granddaughters from 3,000 miles away).
As mothers we pick our battles. We decide when its worth it and when its not. If it had been, maybe the family heirloom bible for example, then the battle would have been won by yours truly; given the circumstances, I let Jordyn tear to her heart's content until all interest was lost.
So, I must ask, what items have been sacrificed for the sake of your sanity in your home? What battle did you LET your kid THINK they were winning?
I could have easily ran over and taken the book and restored it to health, but the problem was that I was cuddled up on the couch with a book, cozily wrapped in blankets, with Kenzie cuddled up in my lap.
How is that a problem you might ask?
Well, I realized that putting a stop to the book destruction would involve having to not only get up from my moment of bliss, but it would also involve having to deal with the melt-down that surely would follow the taking of the book from the one-year old. (Plus the time to bandage the book, plus the time to find another suitable activity for the one-year-old, plus the fact that I would have to put down my book and distract my three-year old from her cuddle time with mommy which might have possibly led to a melt down from the three-year-old as well.)
So, I let the book die. (Sorry mom and dad, that IS in fact the book you sent last week, but you can feel comforted in knowing that that book afforded you the opportunity to indirectly baby-sit both your granddaughters from 3,000 miles away).
As mothers we pick our battles. We decide when its worth it and when its not. If it had been, maybe the family heirloom bible for example, then the battle would have been won by yours truly; given the circumstances, I let Jordyn tear to her heart's content until all interest was lost.
So, I must ask, what items have been sacrificed for the sake of your sanity in your home? What battle did you LET your kid THINK they were winning?
2 comments:
LOVE THIS! Can't wait to talk to you, I'm kinda waiting until you get more settled...and I get more minutes now that we don't have a home phone. Happy to hear from you on this adorable, touching, and hilarious blog of yours.
And that's the trick - picking the RIGHT battles. I'm not so good at that lately.
Post a Comment