Monday, August 3, 2009

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

So I just received word from a friend who had recently been to the doctors office for a check-up with her son. The doctor told her that it looks like it is going to become law that children be in rear facing car seats until they are TWO!!! Um, I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I would rather swim with ravenous great white sharks than be stuck with an energetic toddler in a rearward facing car seat!? I am quite certain that whoever is out there making this law does NOT have children. So, the doctor had said that there is irrefutable evidence that it is so much safer to have your children rearward facing for as long as possible. My question is whether or not they did a study to see if this law will create an increase in child abuse? A crazy toddler is so much more entertained when they can see outside the windows of the car and see what mom and dad are doing; without this relief I'm quite certain that a few more parents out there are bound to flip their lids! I personally would need to buy a new car if this law does in fact come into play. Those monster car seats that a one year old gets into will only fit in the middle seat of our car; and there is NO way that a booster seat and one of those gigantuous car seats will fit side by side in my honda accord. I also know that the minute Kenzie started looking forward was the day that our car ride temper tantrums cut down by eighty percent. I'm hoping that this law is ONLY in California and that it won't take affect until AFTER we leave . . .

1 comment:

Christine said...

I agree with both sides. After doing some research myself, I have seen that it is MUCH safer to keep a child rear facing until they are two/or of a certain size. I hope they don't just make a blanket statement of "age two" as kids are very different in size. However, I see that certain children (my oldest included) would drive a parent to run off the road if they were rear facing that long. We rejoiced greatly when he was 1 and got turned around. I think Eva would protest if we turned her back to the rear now, having seen how the view is SO much better up front, but with the next one I plan to see how long we can keep him/her rear facing. I don't know about making this a law, per se, but I think it should be highly encouraged.
About the car seat bit, you'd be surprised at the number of car seat makers that are taking this into account and making smaller seats. Since we are going to be a "three across the back" family in our Accord, I found some seats that will work just great. The convertible seats are the way to go and skipping the infant ones if you want to put them anywhere else than in the middle.
Sorry about my rant. I am kind of a car seat Nazi.