Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Piece of Gum

Have you ever stopped to think of what life is like through a child's eyes? A little experience a few weeks ago got me thinking about the thought process and priorities of a child . . .

I was having a hard time that morning getting the girls out the door to play group. I felt reluctant to go because I didn't want to go through all that was required to get myself and two children out of the house; but I also knew that NOT going would end up in a feeling of stir craziness and orneriness. So, as I FINALLY made it to the car and started loading up the stroller, the diaper bag, and the children I realized that our 72-hour kits (that I had JUST finished rotating a few nights before) had been stolen. I was pretty bummed about the situation, but the feelings quickly turned to horror as I realized that copies of all our private documents were also in those bags. In the midst of phoning the police to file a report, phoning Garrett to express my frustration, and feeling violated by some idiot stranger - my two year old started to have a break down because she wanted a piece of gum. By this point my patience was gone . . . As I relayed the situation to my dad later, he wisely said, "Well, birth certificates and social security cards aren't at the top of the priority list for a two-year-old."

As I thought about the priorities of a two-year-old I was at first kind of envious. I recounted all that I am responsible for in a day and felt overwhelmed by the mere thought. I then thought of how life just seems too easy for a little kid; there is always someone there to feed them, cloth them, entertain them, and clean-up after them. After stewing like this for a moment I stopped to realize that their life is just simple. A piece of bubble gum is at the top of their priority list . . . I could learn something from that. How often do I let busy tedious things crowd out the simple and good things? Being busy isn't bad . . . but being TOO busy is. And being too busy is something that I am often guilty of.

So, my priorities have changed for the day. Number one on my list for the moment is to go unwrap a piece of bubble gum with my two year old and roll around the floor with my baby . . .

1 comment:

Christine said...

I am often guilty of being :too busy" too. It is something I struggle with.
I can't believe your stuff was stolen! That's awful.