When we pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car I made my first mistake of my shopping experience. You know those grocery carts that have little cars on the front that you can put the kids into so that they can play and "drive" the cart while you are shopping? Well, there was one deceitfully parked in front of my car leaving me to think, "Hmm, how nice, this will keep Kenzie entertained while I shop!" WRONG! The cart was top heavy when the cart had no groceries in it and slowly became back heavy as I filled my cart. I was fish tailing in every direction and the pinnacle of my cart pushing experience came when I attempted to turn the cart around in a ridiculously small aisle (only found in a San Francisco Safeway) and I knocked a jar of pickles off the shelf. That pickle jar shattered and the pickle juices flooded the aisle giving the already tiny aisle less room to maneuver in. While I attempted to round up a worker my girls were screaming out me to "come back mommy" (even though I was within eye sight the entire time). Yeah, that was embarrassing . . . To top it off, the comments that the cart generated were only adding insult to injury. I got a few "Wow, you've got your hands full," a "Heavy load coming through," and the ever encouraging, "Good luck!"
So, the highlight of the trip came at the end when Jordyn had gotten a hold of the condoms in our cart without my noticing and was chewing on the box. We passed this dude who not only took the time to notice, but also the time to open his mouth and make the following comment, "Hmm, there's something ironic about a baby chewing on a box of condoms."
Luckily I had a good nights sleep and I was a well rested mommy this morning - so I really found the entire experience quite amusing. :)
So lets hear it mommies, what outrageous things have strangers said to you in regards to your children?
3 comments:
Oh Stephanie, sorry about that shopping experience. I have SO been there. I have heard some interesting things when I bring all 3 kids out (especially here in this area). The most recent one was when the checker asked if my 3 month old was 9 months old and kept calling Eva a boy (she was in pink, with a bow in her long hair and I told him her name was Eva - a very GIRL name).
"Your daughter needs to cover her mouth when she coughs."
Thanks lady, she's 2!
"Your baby must be cold with no socks on."
"You're much too young to have kids" "You're not going to have any more, right?"
Wow....yeah, if I can avoid taking Stephen to the store, I do. I hate those car carts, and he LOVES them. They really are the most awkward things to push around!
One lady told us to give Stephen a good swat on the bum when he was throwing a tantrum in the middle of the grocery aisle. She proceeded to explain power struggles and how a good smack would teach him who is boss.
I pretended I couldn't hear her, though I was wishing I could have said something back without her reinforcing her ideas that we were young, dumb parents and she was the smart lady saving us from our own ignorance.
People are weird.
Post a Comment