Friday, September 3, 2010

Top Five Fridays - Social Norms

I got to thinking today about all the little things that my kids do that crack me up; however, I would find these same behaviors to be quite disturbing in an adult.

So here they are, the top five social norms that our children have not quite mastered yet.

1. Announcing all bodily functions in proud and boisterous voices. Jordyn has recently crossed this line. She has about ten or fifteen words in her little vocabulary and one of them is poo-poo. She often walks around patting herself between the legs and screeching "poo-poo, poo-poo" whenever she is in need of a changing.

2. The girls are quickly crossing the lines of declaring what belongs to whom. They really do get along about 95% of the time, but there are those moments where one child snatches a toy out of the others hand's declaring "THAT'S MINE!" I'm pretty sure I'd be a bit spooked by any rational adult that snatched something out of my hands with such force. Fortunately, the girls seem to know that you don't cross the snatching line with mom and dad, but they don't seem to have any qualms about doing it to each other.

3. Kenzie is going through this phase where she randomly will take my face into her two little hands (never minding what is on those little hands) and she pulls my forehead to hers and lovingly says "I love you really so much mommy". I'm quite fond of these little moments and they always make me smile, but if any adult besides my husband tried this one it'd be tremendously awkward.

4. My children like to scream my name at the top of their lungs to get my attention . . . when they are standing RIGHT next to me. I'm pretty sure I'd jump and scream and then run if an adult standing next to me used teh same attention-getting-tactic.

5. Jordyn is currently obsessed with board books. She LOVES to sit on your lap and read. The only problem is that she tends to be a bit hostile in her demands for some reading time. She gets a board book and hits you in the chins and declares "BOOK". We are working on holding the book out and saying "book please", and she has been successful a few times; however, if you are not looking she is quite capable of catching you off guard.

1 comment:

voeksb said...

that was all very funny to me...I am still laughing!