Friday, May 2, 2008

The Newborn Stage

I have been reading this book called The Toddler Busy Book that is jam packed with great ideas about what to do with a busy toddler. In the book the writer talks about enjoying every stage of your child's life because they grow up so fast. As I paused to think I realized how many great things there really are in each stage. It's so easy to dwell on the exhaustion, the healing from the pregnancy, and the other discomforts of a newborn; but when you stop and think there are so many more amazing things! I just need to be better at remember the amazing rather than the miserable. The way people hear me talk sometimes they must wonder if I even like being a mom!


Here are the wonderful things that I remember about a newborn:

1. They cuddle with you endlessly for as long as you want.

2. That first smile is a heart melter.

3. They seem so in awe at the world around them. It is so fun to sit and watch them just look at everything around them taking it in for the first time.

4. Nursing, while painful and frustrating at times, is such a neat bonding experience with your baby. It's just you and baby time and it's something that you can do for your baby that no one else can. I don't mean to sound like a crazy "nipple nazi" - as my doctor used to refer to them - but nursing really is a neat experience.

5. The newborn cry - while it was usually a cause for distress at the time, now when I hear one it just makes me smile. There is no cry like a newborn cry. I have a feeling that the newborn cry is the only cry that will ALWAYS mean that your baby truly is in need of you. Now crying can mean that I am needed, but it can also include a range of temper tantrums and the funny fake cry!

6. Everyone loves a newborn! While I was super anal about germs - there was always a good prideful feeling that I got when someone wanted to look at or hold MaKenzie. Everyone just has such nice things to say about how beautiful your newborn is and I loved that feeling!

7. Finally, the best memory I have my newborn was the first time I held her. The love that you have for that little baby is beyond description. I always knew I loved my children and I always looked forward to having them, but nothing could prepare for the overpowering feeling of love and protection that overwhelms you when you and your husband get to hold that infant in your arms for the first time.

1 comment:

barbaraence said...

That is so sweet :)
Can I borrow that book when you're done?