Friday, May 14, 2010

Top Five Fridays - Young Mother

So living in the Marina district of San Francisco with two young children makes me someone of a stranger in the mommy world (at least to THIS mommy world). Why do you ask? Because I am 24 and not 44. Often when I meet another mommy at the park in the Marina their first assumption is that I am the nanny and when they find out I am NOT the nanny, their second assumption is that I had kids out of wedlock. So, for this top-five-friday I wish to state my top five reasons for choosing to be a mother at a young age. I do wish to state that I do not think there is a right or a wrong age for being a mother, its a personal choice that we all make; these are simply my reasons.

1. I won't have dentures at my youngest' high school graduation.

2. The earlier you have them, the earlier they are raised, which means some serious head-start time on the retirement/travel years.

3. My body is in much better shape for the crazy strain of childbearing, rearing, and all the other "ings" that come with this mommy business.

4. I will hopefully get to be a grandma that is still young enough to play ring-around-the rosies with the grand-babies.

5. Finally - it just felt right. The timing just felt good for Garrett and I. We knew we were ready to add to our family so we did!

There you have it. Most mommies here in the Marina are still flabbergasted at my decision to be a mommy before being an established career lady, but hey, what can I say?

1 comment:

Christine said...

Were I to have married before I had a career, I would have done the same thing. Now I am kind of an "in-between-er". :)