Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Girls Meet Dora


This sight has been all too common since we left our home in San Francisco.

While we have been in limbo we have stayed with friends and family that have something that is somewhat of a novelty to my children . . . Cable Television. Garrett and I are have somewhat of a sad combination, we are cheap AND lack self-control. (Which I do realize is somewhat of an oxymoron due to the fact that cheap people tend to have a little bit more self control than is usually reasonable, but hear me out . . .) You see, we are not only too cheap to pay for the monthly access to cable, but we also know that if we had the cable that we would lack the self-control to turn it off (which six weeks of staying in homes with cable television has indeed confirmed)

So, back to the three year old and one year old whom this post is actually about.

I'm a little bit worried about the day a week or so from now when my kids will no longer be enjoying the company of Dora once, twice, or even three times each day. I know they will adjust and life will go back to what they knew in their limited cartoon supply of a few morning cartoons on pbs kids (at least I hope the satellite TV works up here because those few cartoons afford me a shower and a few chores each and every day).

At first Kenzie was absolutely shocked at the idea that the tv could flip to three or four DIFFERENT cartoons all at the same time, but that has become old news for her now. Now she can practiclly name which show she wants to watch at which time of day.

I must admit that I carry a good load of guilt at the amount of tv they have watched during our San Francisco to Alaska transition, but I get some relief in knowing that come August 9 (the beloved anticipated day that we move into our HOUSE, that's right people, our apartment days are OVER)my children will have this constant flow of entertainment taken away.

So, for now I will just let them enjoy it while they've got it. I'm quite certain that the distraction of living in a house quadruple the size of the one they have always known will give them sufficient entertainment . . .

2 comments:

Hillary said...

We don't have cable, but Sarah LOVES Dora on Netflix. She'd watch it ALL.DAY.LONG if I'd let her. I was glad to hear she didn't want to watch a movie today - she wanted to go to the zoo with friends! However, when we got there she immediately asked for your 3-year-old. :(

Christine said...

LOVE this post. Do we live parallel lives or what? Instead of TV though, for us it was movie after movie. I felt bad but it was so hard to take all 3 out and do fun things by myself. Now that we have a yard, I am going to try to be better.
And WOO-HOO for your own house!!!!!!