.jpg)
Due to the wetness, the slushiness, and the dirt of our new great state it has become necessary to make a change - our home has become a no-shoe home. (Did I mention the white carpets . . . also a contributing factor).
I never thought I would be the owner of a no-shoe house. I don't like walking around with bare feet and I don't like wearing socks or slippers all day either - which only leaves you with one option: wearing shoes.
The problem with bare feet is that it leads to cold feet. And the problem with slippers is that when I need to go outside then I have to change into shoes, which I never actually do (why would I? I am only going a few steps out the door). So my slippers get all wet and yucky really fast.
Plus, I don't like making people feel like they HAVE to take their shoes off in my house. I want people to feel comfortable and there are many good reasons why a person might not feel comfortable taking off their shoes. (Stick foot, unmatched socks, hole in socks, bunyons, whatever . . . people have their reasons to keep their piggly-wigglies covered up.) Now I don't plan to announce to each house guest that their shoes must be removed, but a line of shoes next to the door might put on the pressure for them to do so.
My final dislike for a no-shoe house is the pile of shoes that accumulates at each door and never accumulate in your closet. (I am a creature of habit and all my life it has been the habit that shoes go in the closet.) This accumulation not only seems to turn into an eye-sore, but it also becomes a fun play spot for the kids. (I can't tell you how many times I have gone shoe hunting here . . . why do I buy my kids toys if they find so much entertainment in every other household item that is NOT intended for being used as a toy?)
So, I am on a mission to find a couple of shoe racks that will hopefully organize my current shoe problem.
Wish me luck!
2 comments:
We have a shoe basket by the door. I find that if things have to be orderly, the kids mess it up but if they can just toss them in, then they are more likely to do it. I do agree though, I hate having to make a trip to put away shoes every few days, but at least I can just take the basket with me to do it.
Oh I love the genkan feel! In Japan you ALWAYS remove your shoes in EVERY house you enter. I love being barefoot in the house. But then again, I'm not opposed to sometimes walking outside barefoot. :) One idea I liked was having a cabinet right by the door that housed shoes. There were always a couple of pairs lined up by the door, but the cabinet held most of the shoes - that way you can still have your shoes out of sight.
Good luck!
Post a Comment