Kenzie is quite the talker lately. Garrett and I were leaving church today and just dying laughing in the front seat as Kenzie chattered on with question after comment after question after comment. Sometimes I think I know where she is going with her questions, and other times I am quite surprised.
This afternoon I was in the kitchen doing some dishes while the girls sat at their little stool perches at the kitchen counter working their way through their lunch, when the following conversation ensued:
Kenzie: What are you going to do when you are done with those dishes?
Now I thought for sure that this question was inevitably going to lead to her requesting that I play with her as soon as the dishes were complete. She had been asking to play games or do something fun with me several times before I fed them and I felt confident that she was looking for the next opportunity of play time with mom. Well, the conversation went a bit differently than I expected.
Me: Well, I am going to clear off the storage bench, (a little bench that is right there when you come in from our garage and therefore is just a great big invitation for us all to dump coats, bags, or anything else we feel too lazy to put away) and then I am gonna set the table for our dinner guests, and then I am going to get started on our dinner for tonight.
(Awwww, doesn't that make me sound like such a good little housewife? Don't jump to assumptions . . . the sight of me doing dishes and making dinner all in one fell swoop these days is about as rare as an albino alligator.)
Kenzie: (in intonations of absolute shock, yet with a hint of congratulations and gratitude) Wow! Mom! You do a lot of work for this family!
Thoughtful Pause
Kenzie: Mom?
Me: Yeah?
Kenzie: You are sweet AND beautiful AND you do a lot of work for our family.
Me: Just smiling.
When I am in the midst of throwing a real good pity party for myself - complete with party hats and streamers - I can become convinced that NO one noticed how hard I am working or how much I am trying to do for my family. Then, these quick little moments pop up that make me realize otherwise. This little conversation took less than a minute and within the following three I was solving crisis' over snacks, stool positioning, and other such squabblings of childhood. When I am too caught up in the squabbles it is easy to miss the really good stuff in between. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment