Friday, May 11, 2012

Top Five Fridays - What I'll Never Miss About Pregnancy

I don't mean to come off as the eternal pessimist here. So as a disclaimer I must say that there is nothing more amazing than being privileged enough to bear children. I always fear that any complaint I make about pregnancy portrays ingratitude on my part for the miracle that being a mother is. But, the most wonderful things in life tend to have some number of unpleasantries. A good education takes some sleepless nights and dedication. A good marriage takes hard work and dedication. These are good things that have some hard things to go right along with it. And I'm here today to outline a few of the hard things about pregnancy that I will be happy to part with.

1. I really don't like being such good friends with the toilet bowl. The invention was meant to have my bottom sitting on it - NOT my face resting on it. Enough said.

2. MaKenzie was just barely two when JK was born. So she wasn't entirely aware of the fact that a baby was in my belly. Now that my girls are older it is a source of great fascination and discussion. The only problem is that they aren't always sure which "bump" is the baby. Is it the bump on the left side of my chest, the bump on the right side of my chest, or the bump in the middle of my belly? Now, all these areas are swelling, so I can't entirely blame them for the confusion; nevertheless, it is awkward to have the wrong bump lovingly rubbed my your children as they mistaken it for their highly anticipated future sibling.

3. I am a back sleeper. I can become quite irritated with sleeping on my side. Silly, but still bothersome for some absurd reason. I've been known to throw pillows across the room in anger at trying to get them to support me just the right way.

4. Bladder control. I hate needing to go to the bathroom when there is but an ounce of fluid in it, and furthermore I hate that sneezing, laughing, coughing, and vomiting tend to have their adverse affects as well. Depends - anyone?

5. I hate having more emotional baggage. I am more quickly irritated and quicker to tears. I am more quickly exhausted or frustrated. All things that in a normally functioning body would not be an issue (except when I am PMSing - it sucks then too).


No comments: