Monday, May 18, 2009

A New Language

I was just thinking the other day about how my vocabulary really has changed since I became a mother.

First of all there is the term "blow-out". The first time I heard this phrase was when MaKenzie was about four weeks old and we were visiting the Mishlers here in San Franciosco. Their little girl was only a few months older than Kenzie, so Heather was a few months my senior in the motherhood business. MaKenzie created what I felt to be the "blow-out" of the century, and Heather said to me "Gotta love those blow-outs" - or something to that effect. I looked at her all confused and asked, "what's a blow-out?" Now I know the term that describes that disgusting bit of newborn nature - a blow-out - its very appropriate if you ask me. Just for your entertainment, here are some pictures of Garrett and I dealing with the results of a blow-out on the trunk of our car. My little sister was in the back of the car and found the entire situation absolutely hilarious, and she felt the need to take pictures of the incident. All I can say is just you wait Virginia, one day you too will be hoping you don't run out of wipes . . .





Then there is the nursing terminology. Only a nursing mother will know what you are referring to when you talk about the proper "latch" of the baby. Just a few weeks ago Garrett and I were going through the trauma of "nipple confusion" again. We were talking to my family on the webcam and they were asking how everyone was doing; Garrett reported that Jordyn had "nipple confusion", so it had been a rough few days trying to get her to "latch" back on again. Needless to say, a bit of translation was needed for my twenty year old sister, her boyfriend, and my parents.

Finally there is what I like to call "simple talk". A train is no longer a train, it is a "choo-choo". We no longer leave the house to go somewhere, we go "bye-bye". I just caught myself the other day asking my husband to pass me my "sippy" instead of asking for my water bottle. I don't call a movie a movie, it's a "show". And the list goes on and on and on . . . I wonder what new language I will learn as the mother of teenagers? That outta be interesting . . .


No comments: