
Motherhood is a wonderful thing. It builds, strengthens, and edifies. I've never learned to become so much in such a small amount of time. It's blessed my life in more ways that I can count, and probably more ways than I even recognize.
It is also tough.
The tough times are frustrating. When I let those tough times consume me it can leave me entertaining discouraging thoughts about whether or not I am doing ENOUGH. Am I being patient ENOUGH? 'Cuz I can sure give you a few bucket loads (more like truck loads) of instances when my patience levels were sub zero. Am I teaching my girls to be good ENOUGH? 'Cuz there was that time yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that when I was listening to them squabble in the other room for what felt like the hundred and sixty-sixth time that day. I think you get the picture here . . .
In the midst of one of those frustrating moments last week I was grateful for a little pick-me-up from Sister Julie B. Beck and her daughters. I have been enjoying a little radio talk show called "Conversations" on the mormon radio channel. "Conversations" is a great little show that interviews prominent leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in a more personal manner.
There was a lot of comfort in simple fact that this interview grants the listeners the opportunity to recognize that these inspired and wonderful leaders of our church are regular every day people just like me. We all know that, but it's always reassuring to be reminded of it.
The greatest snippet of encouragement came to me as Sister Dew talked about raising her children. She described the process of raising her children as "unwrapping a package". They came to this earth as the great people that they already were and she commented that it was her privilege to simply do her best to unwrap them.
I loved this! It is just an optimistic way to look at the personalities of my children. They really are this wonderful gift from my Heavenly Father that I get to discover a little bit more each day. While I must admit that sometimes the unwrapping is a bit messy and unpleasant it is also equally gratifying and enjoyable.
If you want to listen to the interview yourself click HERE.
1 comment:
A very nice sentiment. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment