Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Can Do It Myself



I remember a book from when I was little girl that my parents used to read to me. It was called "I Can Do It Myself" and it had Grover from Sesame Street doing several things all by himself. I battered that book to pieces and now I am on the hunt for a copy for my daughter.

Kenzie feels the need to do EVERYTHING by herself. I think this idea of independence came to her in a dream one night, because she seemed to wake up one day with the will to do all tasks on her own.

This newly found independence can be a huge trial to my patience; but I can usually bite my tongue and let her figure out these tasks on her own (after all, the sooner that she can do it on her own, the better!) It's just that it was so much faster and easier to put a coat on, put shoes on, get in the car seat, and get a bag packed when I was able to do these things for her; especially when there is a need to do these small tasks in a hurry. I try my hardest to give ourselves an extra ten or fifteen minutes before leaving the house for ANY type of outing, so that I can avoid frustration on my part, and melt downs on Kenzie's part; but life is life and rushing moments come. In these moments when I try to help her get an arm in a coat that she has been fiddling with for several minutes, I am met by strict counsel to not interfere with her proceedings; when interference is absolutely necessary (such as when we are in the middle of the store and she has managed to take off her shoe and feels the need to sit right in the middle of the aisle to correct the problem and mommy must move her to a place where a traffic jam will not be caused) it is cause for an instantaneous melt down. The emotions of toddlers . . . gotta love it. In the end, the whole thing is quite comical.

No comments: