Friday, July 3, 2009

Poop

That's right . . . we have begun potty training. Once again, I am entering terrain that I have never entered before. I am wondering what to buy to help this new process along? Which toilet or toilet seat do I buy? Should I buy books or videos about potty training to speed the process along? How do I help my child to realize that our freakish toilet that flushes so loudly that it sounds like a bomb went off is actually something that she wants to sit on? How long should I try to coax her into sitting on the pot? How often should I ask her to use the bathroom? How long will I be giving treats to her as a mode of bribery? What the HECK am I going to do when she has GOT TO GO and we are stuck in traffic? And I'm a little worried about how embarrassing it will be when she feels need to celebrate my potty going abilities in a public bathroom. (I can only imagine, "yay mommy, big poo-poo in the potty! Push it out!") I don't even have a clue as to how long this whole process is going to take . . . For now I will do what I did when I had questions about how to nurse a baby, how to get a baby to sleep through the night, how to travel with kids, or which stroller/carseat/crib to buy - I will read a ton of different opinions on the internet and pick the brain of any mother I can only to find that there are more opinions on the matter than there are fish in the sea, and I will eventually find that there is really no ONE right answer, only a need for patience, prayers, creativity, and a good sense of humor . . .

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

GOOD LUCK! I will hope & pray for kenzie to go poo poo in the potty. Lincoln Loves "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD. Maybe you can rent it from the library. Not that he really knows anything about that, but we've got the songs memorized. She'd probably really like that one if she watches sesame street.